Here in North Carolina, we are fortunate to have lots of warm days. If there’s one thing you want consistently working for those warm days, it’s your air conditioning; otherwise, the house can heat up a little too quickly. One of the most common causes of a faulty air conditioner is the coolant. Here are five signs that you need coolant replacement.
- You’re only getting hot air: An air conditioner should not be spewing out hot air. If you’ve checked that your thermostat is set to cool, but the room has yet to get any cooler, it may be time for a coolant replacement.
- You’re noticing a bit of frost accumulating: When there isn’t enough coolant circulating through your air conditioning unit, the coils inside the unit can collect condensation that can eventually freeze as the coils get cooler. Replacing the coolant can fix this.
- You’ve noticed a leak: If you can hear or see a drip starting to pool around the outside of your air conditioning unit, it could be caused by the coolant. This specific coolant problem could cause the entire system to fail down the road, so it’s often better to schedule a coolant replacement sooner than later.
- Your unit is making odd noises: If you hear an odd hissing or gurgling noise while your air conditioner is running, you likely have a crack or hole somewhere in the unit that is leaking coolant. You will need proper repairs for the unit before you can get the coolant replaced.
- Your unit is releasing an odd smell: Most coolants will have an odor added to them to help detect leaks. If you start to smell a sweet or acidic sort of smell coming from your air conditioning unit, you likely have leaking coolant.
If you have noticed any of these five signs and need a coolant replacement, give us a call today at Dunlow Mechanical to set up an appointment.